Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Work of Titus Kaphar













Shroud, 2007


If art was like a basketball team (and this was 1992), Titus Kaphar would be part of my Dream Team. His work deals with similar issues as my own work, but he does it in a completely unique way.

Watch out world, this guy is going to be a quick rising star. I mean, I carve into my surface to give it form, but this guy literally cuts his canvas, repositions it, and even balls it up to give it form! It's wild. He has found a way to marry painting with sculpture and the pieces are powerful. I really don't need to expound any further on their meanings...he's direct, and the message is clear to anyone who is open enough to receive it. Mark my words.... you'll want to watch this one, and if you can get your hands on one of his pieces-- do it now.

Spouse, 2006







Conversation Between Paintings #2: The Meeting:
"We Was Jus’ Talkin,’” 2007

No comments: